Thursday, August 12, 2010

In the beginning.

My name is Misty Dunham. Formerly known as Misty Manning. I have 3 kids. 2 are from a previous marriage that ended bad. He was physically and verbally abusive. I let it go on for too long because I wanted to try to work it out for our girls sake. In turn I left him and tried to start a new life on my own. It felt impossible then he started coming around again wanting back together. So I caved. No more than 2 months later he ended up leaving me for a friend of mine. I had acquired a job during that time working at a Subway. I met some new people and among those people I became friends with David. When my first husband left me he was there for me. He helped pick up the shattered pieces. He would come over after work each night and hang out. My girls fell in love with him because he treated them like they were someone amazing which to me they are. He would stay til 4 to 5 in the morning just talking to me about anything and everything. Little by little I got stronger. Then I got a phone call telling me that my first husband was going to marry the girl he left me for after knowing her for about 3 months. It was like someone throwing a baseball through a window. I shattered all over again. After 3 1/2 almost 4 years of marriage it's hard to let go of those feelings of when you had been in love with that person. Even with all the stuff he put me through. I called David in tears even though he was on his way to work. He turned around and came back to my house. Staying there till I had been able to breath again and was able to stop crying. We started dated and somewhere along that time he wanted to marry me. I was still hurting and not whole so I turned him down and ended up trying to push him away. I was scared of him. Scared to be hurt all over again. Scared to feel helpless and stupid again. He didn't run away screaming that I was crazy lol. Instead he backed off and gradually tried to get back into my life subtly. We started dating again and after a year of being together he asked again. This time I didn't let my fears scare me away and I said yes. Soon after that he wanted to try to join the army. By April 12th he was in reception of his training area..  I was hurt at first. No matter how many times he told me he wasn't running away somewhere deep in my head that thought was there. I went through 110 days of struggling to be a mother and a father to 3 little girls ( and by little I mean all of them under the age of 5) He recently graduated (july 31st) I spent 8 days with him. We went out to dinner, for walks, too the girls to the park and fair. All in all had a blast. Then on the 9th he left us to go to his first duty station in Kentucky. We had it all planned out that when he got down there he would work on housing and then we would all move down there being a family again. Then a monkey wrench was thrown into our plans. We found out his unit hasn't deployed yet but are in the process of getting ready to. He was told he would most likely be doing this deployment right along with them. I find out more details next week when he gets out of the holding tank and into his unit. My head goes a mile a minute thinking. Trying to decide whether or not to have him still do that housing and move down there now. Or if I should wait till he comes back if he goes over that soon. Of course my mind is also running about the thought of him going overseas. I knew it would eventually come because thats the army and he is an Infantryman. Just wasn't expecting it so quick.

3 comments:

  1. Misty, you are a very brave woman, even though your 1st husband had you damn near convinced your weren't. David sees this and knows you are strong enough to handle whatever comes your way. You've already done that, remember? The recruiter told Leila they would probably deploy right away. But she still struggles, as you do, about whether to move out or not. If Roby gets a house this weekend, she is (at last conversation) moving to KY. She has no real family in WA, and no ties that keep her there. I guess you will have to decide what is best for the girls. Is there a significant amount of POSITIVE family support where you are? If they have grandpas around, they will get the great male input that they need. These relationships will help form the kind of men they date, and look to for long term relationships. Or are you completely ready to turn the page? Start your Army life with other women who are in the same situation as yourself? I know, more questions.. You are strong enough to evaluate them and make the right decision all by yourself. I know you can do it! Love and prayers-Shary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shary

    I really do appreciate it. Sometimes it's hard to remember it though. They do have 2 grandpas semi close around but they don't really see them much. David and I had a long talk about it and staying is just the better option right now. He hates it and I hate it but it is better. Once he gets back I am moving down

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is really not true. I cannot think you would ever be the one to lie like that misty. I know you and your not like that. And i was close to you at one time, and i would never do any of that.Why would you talk me down like that and not even mention that while i was working you were with another guy Frank???Please do not omit facts just so you can look like the perfect one. I had done a TON wrong yes i know, but you were not without blame either.

    ReplyDelete